T4xx (T400-450 ohne "T440s/T450s") Erfahrungsberichte: Quadcore im T420 - Mod-Bios inside

Sollte ich mich jetzt mit 667Mhz schlecht fühlen? Woran kann das liegen? Oder liest HWinfo das nur falsch aus?

667Mhz entsprechen den 1333MHz. Wenn du 1333er Speicher hast, dann kann der eben nicht mehr.

Sagen wir doch einfach 1333MHz effektiv. Oder geht es um den Rundungsfehler?

Aso, gemessen wurde der io-Takt und ihr sprecht vom effektiven Takt.
Edit: Grad nachgeguckt, mein Ram kann leider nur 1333Mhz. Würde ein Upgrade auf 1600Mhz außerhalb von Benchmarks was bringen?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
In der Regel bringt es nur in den RAM-lastigen Nutzungsszenarien etwas; meistens ist dies die Nutzung des RAMs als Cache für die eingebaute Grafik. Diese profitiert dann von der höheren Bandbreite des Arbeitsspeichers.

Abseits davon bringt schnellerer RAM recht wenig; außer du weißt, dass dort dein Performance-Flaschenhals liegt. :cool:

Meiner Meinung nach lohnen sich Upgrades bei Datenträgern, da fast jede Anwendung davon profitieren kann; umfangreiche Konfigurationen oder Dateien kommer überall vor. Bei CPUs ist der Kosten/Nutzen-Faktor schon etwas schlechter, da heutzutage nur eine Steigerung der SingleCore-Performance wirklich spürbar ist. Bei Mehrkern-Nutzung ist meistens die Software der Flaschenhals, da eine geschickte Nutzung mehrere Kerne immer noch viel Sachverstand benötigt und manchmal eben nicht möglich ist.

Beim RAM kann man meiner Meinung nach sich viel Ärger reinholen, wenn man zu viel will bzw. gierig ist ohne dass man die Performance-Steigerung wirklich spührt. Ich verzichte daher auf Geschwindigkeits-Upgrades beim RAM; nur zu viel RAM geht bei mir nicht. Daher baue ich, wenn möglich, von Anfang an das technische Maximum ein; und bisher konnte ich mir diese RAM-Menge auch leisten. :thumbsup:

Ok. Ich habe bis jetzt auch 16gb drin aber nur 1333mhz, der Kauf ging nach dem Motto, viel hilft viel, mit wenig Augenmerk auf Speed. Aber ich hab ja eh ne NVIDIA drin...

Guys
Here is an alternative method to intel hd 4000 3rd gen CPU which is not supported yet.

As already tested and compared, intel hd 4000 3rd gen cpu is only better in 3d performance compared to 2nd gen cpus. So the processor performance and 2D performance is the same (if you have the bios hack and at least 1600mhz/1866 memory modules otherwise the difference is small)

Did you think about getting an external expresscard34 graphics card dongle???
Operating manual
http://yun.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=1261180213&uk=2657154987

You can use your laptop screen but use external graphics. I ordered yesterday the exresscard34 type (V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock Expresscard) and also bought an additional 6A 12V compatible AC/DC adaptor = 72 Watt. Will perform same as PCI-e 2.0 x16.

This way you don't need another cpu. Only worth it if you already have an external graphics card sitting in the house. Total cost 70 euros. I have a Sapphire HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 sitting on my desk and will compare with intel hd 3000 when I receive the product.

Regards

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Yes, some people have a external expresscard on their T420. But with the external graphics it isnt portable anymore, just if you plug out your graphics.

Correct. I agree to that.
Intel HD 3000 specs:
DirectX*
OpenGL*
OpenCL*
Shader Model Support
Intel® Quick Sync Video
Intel® Wireless Display
Intel® Insider™ technology
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Advantages:
Using the wddm version of the operating system
Using the DirectX version of the operating system
Hardware wise no obstacles, runs all games and applications
Has openGL support higher than 3.1
Has Cuda support
Has openCL 1.2/2.0 hardware support
Supports shader model > 4.1
Has PhysX hardware support
Better/Faster

Disadvantages:
Portability
Cost
Power Consumption
Space
Appearance
WiDi support is lost I think but I am not 100% sure.

Best low power graphics card with only 25 Watts consumption and 16lanes (most GT730 are 8 lanes).
Asus GT 730 PCI 2.0 16 lane 64bit GDDR5 2GB though only 2 wires go to the fan (no fan speed control, should have been 3).

I am using the AMD RADEON 7750 with windows 10 in a mini itx PC which does also better bitcoin mining (for amateur purposes and for performance testing), because it is a RADEON and we all know that Nvidia Geforce is not optimized for bitcoins. Choosing the openCL guiminer option the cpu does not do any work so cpu stays cool, and the score is the same with or without the P9600 cpu even though when choosing the normal way the CPU is working at 50%. I had some direct2D performance issues with windows 8.1 but with windows 10 the problems are gone (31 score vs 6). Tested NVidia GT 220 and GT 240. GT 240 is supposed to be as good as Radeon 7750 in all other tests, but bitcoin score is only 20 MH/s whereas Radeon 7750 HD is 120MH/S (GT220 is 6MH/s).

I will be using the ASUS GT 730 2GB GDDR5 PCI-e 2.0 with Lenovo T420 4236, as I will want to improve the graphics performance of intel hd 3000, which is also low powered at 25Watt therefore a 6Amps cheap AC/DC power adapter will suffice, we need 50% more power than the graphics card power consumption in order to properly size the AC/DC 12V power adaptor.

This way we have a low powered T420 Lenovo laptop with excellent graphics card properties/performance, nothing to be jealous from any newer integrated graphics card cpu intel processor.

Total Cost
Asus GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64bit 25 Watt: 90
Adaptor: 10
PCI express graphics card x16 Dock: 60

2x4GB Memory Ballistix: 70

CPU i7-2640M: 80

Total: 90+10+60+70+80=310. With this price you can get another laptop such as an i3 or wait for an i5 with a higher price which will still underperform in 3D.

DONT DO IT unless you want a low power beast, which in the long term will save you in WATT/COST compared to desktop computers because we are now getting out of the laptop specifications as the laptop becomes a hybrid.

I wonder how much more the Passmark performance test increases above the current passmark of 2000, with the GT730 upgrade. I hope I don't loose performance in 2D score.

I will finish my review with the new passmark performance test using the Nvidia Geforce GT 730 as a graphics card for Lenovo T420.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
external GPU.jpg

Finally. Items arrived and tests carried out. I get a Passmark Performance Test of 2800. An increase of 27% in total. Specifically an increase of 62% in 3D performance with GT 730 over intel hd 3000. This means that intel HD 3000 performs really bad in 3D tests. The good news is that the Beast EXP GDC 8.3E supports Gen 2 (x2) bandwidth 5GB/s. The bad news is that GT730 is x8 and not x16 as I thought. There is no GT730 with x16 channel support (it is x8 channel only).

The GPU supports openCL 1.2 Cuda (was updated from 1.1) and openGL 4.5 (was updated from 4.3) on tested driver 364.72 so this is a bonus. Has DirectCompute 5.0, PhysX and Cuda support.

This is my pasmmark test upload.

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=59401840088

This concludes my review and upgrades with Lenovo T420.

Correction

Actually it is not 62%. Intel hd 3000 is 38% of GT730 in 3D score. Or the performance increase is 162% over intel hd 3000 in 3d score or it performs 2.63 times more in 3d tests.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Cypriot, what UEFI-version are you using?
Sorry in case you already mentioned it, i might have missed it since im tired :)

thx in advance

deckel

modified 1.46. Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_83ET76WW-83uj28us_NWL_LEN21_ADV_RAM_Speedo_AES_vBios-2170

I have the ballistix 1866mhz installed. This bios is the best I have had in T420.

Sorry for all my posts, and getting you tired. :)

The reason I went through the upgrades was to give Lenovo T420 owners the chance to choose an alternative way to upgrade their laptops without buying new laptops as Intel wishes (since they sell new cpus/gpus).

Intel has stopped supporting intel hd 3000 since windows 8.0 with about 3 years support. The development of their sandy bridge driver stopped at wddm 1.2, so up to windows 8.0. Windows 8.1 is only supported in Legacy mode and in Windows 10 WiDi wireless display is not supported (Microsoft made a windows 10 driver but only with basic features). OpenGL support is only 3.1 and intel did not supply driver for openGL 3.3 for windows though in Linux it is supported. Also there is no OpenCL GPU support, no DirectCompute and no Cuda. Their driver sucks and intel support is not providing a solution to Wirless Display support in Windows 10, nor openGL 3.3 support nor OpenCL 1.2 GPU support. With external graphics card and express card dock, we can bypass these shortcomings and fight intel non existing driver support.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hallo,

ich verfolge diesen Thread schon länger und habe mir für mein T420 (non-NVS) günstig einen i7 2860QM aus den USA besorgt, zusätzlich 16 GB Kingston HyperX als 2133 Mhz-Version.

Ich habe diesbezüglich grundlegende Fragen bezüglich des nötigen Netzteils:

1. Reicht für den Stand-alone-Betrieb (mit 9c-Akku aber ohne Dock) ein 90W-Netzteil aus um die volle Leistung ohne Warnmeldungen abrufen zu können?

2. Reicht darüber hinaus für den Betrieb mit 9c-Akku und Dock ein 135W-Netzteil aus oder benötige ich da das 170er?

Danke und beste Grüße

sapphire_pro

Hi,

man kann das T420 mit einem Quad problemlos mit einem 90W NT betreiben, ohne warnmeldung zu erhalten.
Allerdings werden keine 65W NTs mehr akzeptiert, nur wenn das Notebook aus ist, kann man damit den Akku laden.

Also einfach 90W NT und alles ist super :)

Ich betreibe das T420 mit dem 2820QM und dem 90W-Netzteil in der Dock und habe keine Probleme.
Wie Megalodon sagt - mit dem 65W-Netzteil bekomme ich beim Start eine Warnmeldung, egal ob in Dock oder so.

Gruß

Alles klar - dann kann ich ja meine 90W-Netzteile weiterverwenden. Danke fürs Feedback!

Dann habe ich zwar eigentlich ein 135W-NT über (hatte ich vorher schon vorsorglich gekauft), aber ich kann es ja trotzdem am Dock nutzen.

@ L0nestar

Wie sehen mit deinem 2820QM die Temps aus? --> Hast du die NVS-Variante? --> Lüfter/Heatpipe noch original?

Hast du ein Mod-Bios installiert?

Gruß

sapphire_pro

For a quad core, which heatsink have you used??? Is there a better heatsink for a quad core?? I get to maximum temperature (94-95) with i7-2640m when overclocking at 45watt. With a quad core we need to replace the heatsink. Do you know which heatsink model better dissipates the heat for the quad core (without dedicated graphics).
Regards
Panayiotis

Wie sehen mit deinem 2820QM die Temps aus?
Das kommt sehr stark auf die Auslastung an. Mit wprime werden das schnell um die 98°C und es kommt zu Throttling, aber im Alltagsgebrauch merke ich davon nicht so wirklich etwas.

Hast du die NVS-Variante?
Nein, auch nur Nvidia.

Lüfter/Heatpipe noch original?
Ich habe Lüfter und Kühlkörper mal gegen eine vermeintlich "bessere" FRU getauscht, aber der Mehrwert war eher gering.

Hast du ein Mod-Bios installiert?
Nein, bis jetzt noch nicht. Ich habe das 1.37er BIOS wegen der Ram-Taktung (2133MHz) eingespielt, das MOD-BIOS steht noch aus.

Gruß

• ok1.de
  • ok2.de
  • thinkstore24.de
  • Preiswerte-IT - Gebrauchte Lenovo Notebooks kaufen

Werbung

Zurück
Oben