T61 NVIDIA Bug.. jetzt hats mich wohl auch erwischt

zeitgeist81

Themenstarter
Hallo,

ich habe im Januar bei Ralf Scharbert ein T61 (1.8Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, NVIDIA NVS140M, 14.1", DVD Brenner) für 577€ gekauft. Das Gerät lief bis gestern tiptop,
dann war bei Zombie Panic Source (ja, die NVIDIA ist auch zum Zocken geeignet) schlagartig das Bild weg, Spiel lief weiter. Das Gerät lief zu diesem Zeitpunkt gerade mal ~15 min.
Um die Hitze vernünftig abzuführen, hab ich das Gerät seit dem Megasommer extra auf einem Cooling-Pad stehen. Es scheint nichts geholfen zu haben, Bildschirm ist tot bzw. Grafikkarte scheint tot zu sein. Hintergrundbeleuchtung funktioniert -> TFT i.O. wies scheint. Aber es kommt kein Bild mehr.. trotz Akku/Netzkabel ab und wieder dran.

Ich tippe auf einen kaputten NVIDIA Chip. Oder fällt jemandem eine andere Ursache ein? Achja, die Lenovo Garantie ist am 30.8.2010 abgelaufen, der Defekt war am 2.9.2010!! :( Auf Kulanz seitens Lenovo kann ich vermutlich nicht hoffen. Von Ralf Scharbert habe ich noch "Gewährleistung" (dachte, es sei Garantie), aber das ist auch schon 8 Monate her.. > über 6 Monate. Hoffentlich ist der Mann kulanz, sonst kann ich das Ding gleich wegwerfen. :(

MfG
Felix

Hey - danke für die Info wegen Ralf Schabert! :) Stand nun auch vor der Entscheidung und kann nun guten Herzens sparen!

@ fluentis

Welcher Händler ist denn so viel "günstiger"?
Ich kenne sonst nur Magicdevices.. und die sind nach meinem Empfinden eher teurer.
Lapstore hab ich schon verschiedene Sachen über Unstimmigkeiten bezüglich des Gerätezustands gehört...

Nenn mal nen Händler bitte

Es ging um eine Entscheidung zwischen den Angeboten von Schabert und der Bucht - Schabert ist größtenteils teuerer als die stinknormalen Angebote (Schabert Thinkpad T60 14,1 TFT SXGA+ 1,83 GHz (T2400) 2 GB RAM 100 GB HD DVD Brenner für 388,- VS eBay IBM ThinkPad T60p, CoreDuo T2600 2 x 2,16GHz, 14,1
100GB,2048MB,DVD±RW DL,W-LAN,Bluetooth, FireGL V5200 für 379,- Ebay Link

Hatte bis dahin für mich mit Kompetenz und Kunden-Zufriedenheitspolitik die Mehrkosten argumentiert - aber nun kann ich mich einfach nach den Daten richten.

Deswegen - großen Dank an dich und traurig dass es so ablief :(

@ fluentis

Keine Ursache ;)

ALTER SCHWEDE...

Hab mir grad "mein" T61 genauer angeschaut.
1. Die XP-Prof-Lizenz (der Aufkleber) auf dem Boden des Geräts wurde entfernt
2. Der DVD-Brenner wurde durch ein CD-RW-Combo Laufwerk BJ 2004 getauscht

Das ist das, was mir bis jetzt auffällt. Die CPU wird ja wohl noch drin sein.. werde das Gerät mal aufschrauben.
Was würdet Ihr tun?

Ich werde wohl morgen mal in Wunstorf anrufen müssen.. das geht ja mal gar nicht!

zeitgeist81' schrieb:
@ fluentis

Keine Ursache ;)

ALTER SCHWEDE...

Hab mir grad "mein" T61 genauer angeschaut.
1. Die XP-Prof-Lizenz (der Aufkleber) auf dem Boden des Geräts wurde entfernt
2. Der DVD-Brenner wurde durch ein CD-RW-Combo Laufwerk BJ 2004 getauscht

Das ist das, was mir bis jetzt auffällt. Die CPU wird ja wohl noch drin sein.. werde das Gerät mal aufschrauben.
Was würdet Ihr tun?

Ich werde wohl morgen mal in Wunstorf anrufen müssen.. das geht ja mal gar nicht!

Jo würde auch anrufen und freundlich nachfragen wie das sein kann. Kann ja durch aus ein Versehen gewesen sein.

´Bereits erledigt (ich bin immer freundlich)

Die können sich das nicht erklären, ich bekomme die Komponenten per Post zugeschickt die nächsten Tage.
Das mit dem Aufkleber kann ich mir nicht erklären (Herr Scharbert meinte, sie lösen keine Lizenzaufkleber ab), das mit dem Laufwerk schon eher.. der Techniker hat das Ding bestimmt auseinandergenommen und als ich geschrieben hab, ich hätts gern zurück, aus den Komponenten, die da rumgelegen haben wieder zusammengebaut... die Laufwerke sehen sich ja recht ähnlich.

Naja, egal. Hat sich soeben geklärt.

MfG
Felix

OK (deep breath!) - we need to remind ourselves about what the problem is with the Nvidia GPU.

The problem is due to fundamental design faults with the chip. Over time, as the chip goes through the normal hot and cold cycles in normal use, the tiny solder joints (called High Lead Bumps) connecting the chip layers together break.
Also the filler material between the chip layers is too soft and doesn't support the layers properly.
For more detailed information please read an article I wrote on Thinkpad Forums: Nvidia GPU - Problems and "Solutions". (BTW I have no problems with this being translated and republished on this forum.)

It is NOT due to unsoldered solder balls as in T4x ATI and Intel Southbridge chips.

So, as Punto asks, is a simple reflow going to fix the problem? The simple answer has to be "no", since how can any reflow or heating process fix manufacturer design faults?

The next question is whether it's possible to simply remove the broken chip and fit a good redesigned chip? I am not aware that Nvidia every made redesigned chips and there's a part of me that thinks that they probably haven't because they want people to just buy new laptops with newer GPU's and trash their broken ones.
But I've read somewhere in these forums that they are using new chips in Asia to repair laptops. But are they original designed chips which will have the same problem in future?
We have tried to buy supposedly new replacement chips in the past and have been sent old chips which have been removed from broken laptops and then reballed. One was even "blown out" ie the top surface of the chip had detatched from the rest of the chip with bubbles over the surface - 100% useless!

The next problem is how to remove these chips from the T61 motherboard. Lenovo has glued the chips to the motherboard with clear epoxy and this has to be removed before unsoldering and lifting the chip.
We have found no way of removing this epoxy. Heat doesn't work and nor does trying to dissolve it with chemical solvents. If we try to lift the chip with the epoxy still in place, tracks and solder pads on the motherboard are also pulled off the motherboard.

The only solution is to grind the chip off the motherboard using a Dremel tool. This is a very long and dangerous job since it's extremely easy to make a tiny slip and cause unrepairable damage to the motherboard.
We have never tried this on a T61 board, but have done it many times on Southbridges on T42p and T43 boards.

So the final option is to try and repair the existing GPU chip, and to find a way of soldering the layers of the chip together.
We have repaired many HP, Sony, Dell etc etc, with these Nvidia GPU's but not many T61's. We have developed a special heating profile on our Infrared Reflowing Station, and we repair around 90 - 95% of chips by this method.
The length of time the laptop continues to work then depends on how damaged the chip is before we repair it, and this is around 70 - 75% which work for at least 90 days (our warranty period) or beyond - not a good number.

The next thing is to reduce the repaired GPU operating temperature. We clean the Fan Assembly of dust (usually very dusty!) and then replace any plastic flexible blue heatsink material between the chip and heatsink with exactly the right thickness of copper shim. Some laptops don't need them, but where they are needed every shim is of slightly different thickness and we make each one individually in-house for each laptop.
The copper shim is kept in place with very thin layers of Arctic Silver heatsink compound on both sides of the shim, and the shim improves the heat dissapation from the GPU to the Fan Assembly.

Moving onto the software side - the first and most important things to do is to install the recommended BIOS which for these laptops (HP, Dell, Lenovo etc etc) usually has the effect of turning the fan on, either permanently, or at lower operating temperatures.
Also the latest recommended laptop manufacturer Nvidia GPU driver should be installed. These should be optimised for the laptop model.

The next area is to underclock the GPU slightly, again to reduce the operating temperature. Nvidia GPU drivers for these chips include Powermizer, a battery and power optimising program.

Powermizer Manager lets you change the performance (ie clock) settings of the chip and helps to reduce the chip operating temperature. Please be aware that it's possible to damage the GPU with this program.

There are other similar programs available. Same warnings etc.

As I've said earlier we don't repair many Nvidia chipped T61's but have done many, many other laptop makes with the same chip family. In particular HP DV and TX series, Sony Vaios, Dells, Acer, Samsung (R700), Rock, etc etc.

My personal opinion is that it's a very poor situation and that laptop owners have been badly let down by buying laptops with this GPU family in good faith, and are now sitting on a piece of equipment which will almost certainly go wrong due to no fault of their own, and with no means of redress from the chip manufacturer.
This compares with the USA where some laptop owners have won a Class Action against Nvidia. Why is there nothing like this in Europe?

Again apologies for writing in English. Please translate into German if necessary!

Many thanks for that detailed explanation!

It is indeed a very poor situation. The customers are let down once more by the manufacturers..

I'll just change to a R400/T400 or a T61 with intel gpu. Nevertheless I hope my GPU isn't going to become trash within the next few months.. It is about 3.5years already.. (alwas cooled and underclocked - right from the beginning)

Dear Nick,
your observations match the ones we have had so far. We also got a lot of Mainboards working again by putting those into a infrared reflowing oven but the successrate isn't overwhelming at all. While most of the chips worked at first some died again after 4 weeks of usage, some died later, after around half a year I think less than 30% are still functional. After this investigations we stopped offering this service to our customers. I'm also not aware of newer bugfree versions of those chips and have never seen those or seen offers claiming to get those delivered. I'm also willing to say this is a giant mess with no known real cure except swapping the boards for new ones with Intel Graphics. If you ever get in charge of a newer revision of nvidia chips you should clearly advertise this and do all those affected guys a huge favour by offering your services.

Für alle anderen nocheinmal: Es gibt immernoch häufig die Möglichkeit bei einem Gerätealter unter 4 Jahren eine Postwarranty zu buchen und so an einen Boardaustausch zu kommen. Das ist zwar keine Lösung in dem Sinne als das man sicher etwas für die Ewigkeit bekommt, hilft aber die Kisten für eine weitere Weile zu einem humanen Preis am Leben zu halten. Wer da etwas braucht sollte seinen Händler kontaktieren oder kann auch auf mich zukommen.

Grüz!
Hibbelharry

Dear Nick,

thank you for your really detailed report.

So it's like I thought:
Those NVIDIA GPUs are a piece of crap and there is no safe way to repair the effected laptops since you cannot rely on them any more.

Only solution I see here: replace the mainboard with the Intel equivalent...

Such a shame.

And Lenovo didn't even take part in charging NVIDIA for this - at least at what we could read about the case in the US.

@Mods: Wäre es vielleicht sinnvoll, den Teil des Threads ab Erläuterung von nickpaton hierhin: [T6*] T61 nVidia Bug Repair durch Lenovo, jetzt offiziell möglich?! Stand 03/2010 zu verschieben? Dann bitte inkl. Posts 39+40 :)

Hibbelharry' schrieb:
Für alle anderen nocheinmal: Es gibt immernoch häufig die Möglichkeit bei einem Gerätealter unter 4 Jahren eine Postwarranty zu buchen und so an einen Boardaustausch zu kommen. Das ist zwar keine Lösung in dem Sinne als das man sicher etwas für die Ewigkeit bekommt, hilft aber die Kisten für eine weitere Weile zu einem humanen Preis am Leben zu halten. Wer da etwas braucht sollte seinen Händler kontaktieren oder kann auch auf mich zukommen.

Grüz!
Hibbelharry
Öhem.. die Garantie bei mir ist doch bereits vor bald 2 Monaten (so lange war das Gerät bei Herrn Scharbert) abgelaufen - also ist es dafür doch jetzt eh zu spät, oder? Oder nochma anders ausgedrückt.. kann ich nach Ablauf der 3 Jahres Garantie die nochmal um 1 Jahr verlängern - nachträglich? Wohl kaum ^^

MfG
Felix

Hello Nick,
thank you for your explanations. It is a very great disadvantage, that the nVidias are fixed with epoxy like the T42/T43 ATIs.

nickpaton' schrieb:
This compares with the USA where some laptop owners have won a Class Action against Nvidia. Why is there nothing like this in Europe?
As far as i know class-actions are possible in the U.S. only but not in Europe.

---------------------------

Hallo Nick,
danke für die Erklärungen. Es ist ein sehr großer Nachteil, dass die nVidia Chips wie die ATI-Chips der T42/T43 mit Epoxy fixiert sind.

nickpaton' schrieb:
Dies steht im Gegensatz zu denUSA wo einige Laptopbesitzer eine Sammelklage gegen nVidia gewonnen haben. Warum gibt es nichts vergleichbares in Europa?
Soweit ich weiß, sind Sammelklagen nur in den USA möglich, aber nicht in Europa.

Mornsgrans' schrieb:
Soweit ich weiß, sind Sammelklagen nur in den USA möglich, aber nicht in Europa.

Per se gibt es die in Deutschland nicht, nur wenn der Beklagte in den USA sitzt, ist sowas wohl möglich.
Das ist bei NVIDIA aber der Fall, da der Hauptsitz in Santa Clara, CA ist...

Allerdings bin ich kein Jurist, daher weiss ich nicht, ob das wirklich machbar ist.

Since it is slightly off topic I didin't mention it in my last post, but it's still very relevant for T6x owners - those T6x's which are fitted with ATI GPU's.

Unfortunately they once again are suffering from unsoldered Solder Balls (curses to lead-free solder!), and which are also glued to the motherboard with clear epoxy.

Once again to repair these, the chips must be removed by grinding, but because are unable to source any replacements no repairs are possible.

I also agree about not offering a service for repairing Nvidia GPU'd laptops since it does not have the potential to be a permanent fix. The one reason for continuing to do so is that our company does more than any other to attempt a proper repair and it's possible that some will then continue to work.
I need to rethink our company policy on this but maybe we need to be clearer with customers about how long the repair may NOT last.

Moral: buy Intel GPU'd T6x Thinkpads.

So flexing again with the ATI GPUs?
This is what i call: epic fail - seems like Lenovo didn't learn anything from the problem IBM had with the T4x-series...

Therefor your final conclusion fits best: ONLY buy T6x with Intel IGP

Das mit dem Lernen ist so eine Sache. Der Unterschied zu den T4x ist folgender: Die T4x flexen weil das Chassis nicht stabil genug ist und das Board dort wo Grafikchip und Southbrige sitzen regelmässig in Bewegung ist. Das ist beim T6x nicht das zentrale Problem. Dort musste Lenovo umstellen auf bleifreies Lot weil die gesetzlichen Rahmenbedingungen andere wurden. Das benötigt höhere Temperaturen in der Verarbeitung und die Lötstellen neigen generell eher zu Brüchen weil die Materialeigenschaften des Lots anders sind, es ist weniger flexibel und spröder. Die Ausfallquoten bei den T60 die mir bekannt sind liegen bisher dennoch sehr niedrig. Warten wirs mal ab.

Grüz!
Hibbelharry

Hibbelharry' schrieb:
Die T4x flexen weil das Chassis nicht stabil genug ist und das Board dort wo Grafikchip und Southbrige sitzen regelmässig in Bewegung ist
Hinzu kommt die thermische Belastung, da auch dauerhaft gedockte T4* davon betroffen sind. Dilbert_im_Cubicle hatte vor längerer Zeit diesbezüglich einen ausführlichen Beitrag gepostet.

• ok1.de
  • ok2.de
  • thinkstore24.de
  • Preiswerte-IT - Gebrauchte Lenovo Notebooks kaufen

Werbung

Zurück
Oben