ThinkPad (?) for a poor family > which one?

User32

My parents-in-law their son managed to break the HP DV6 something laptop they had by dropping it (it was already in absolute garbage condition so nothing of value was lost lel) and i'm considering gifting them a proper laptop. Problem is: which one? They currently have a Dell Inspiron thing with a first gen i5, which I upgraded earlier this year with a SSD and the broken HP, but god knows when they are going to break that Dell.

How rugged is the T430 with a SSD? Also a thing to keep in mind is that they're complete normies so they'll install whatever shit gets bundled with other software so the machine ends up full of crapware after a while, and they don't particularly look after their devices either.

Performance isn't a big issue, as long their kids can play games like Roblox (god forbid!) and the parents can use Facebook/Skype.

Budget is minimal, as it's going to be a gift. I already have a bunch of RAM and SSDs are cheap nowadays, so I might be able to cut costs there.

I have treated my T420 badly for 3 years and it still works good. I assume the T430 is similar. They are cheap and spare parts too. I would go for 3rd gen Core i because of 1080p60hz Youtube I get stuttering with two displays running. Have a look at the EliteBook series as well, 8570p or 8470p. I would rate them even more durable than the TPs.

I have treated my T420 badly for 3 years and it still works good. I assume the T430 is similar. They are cheap and spare parts too. I would go for 3rd gen Core i because of 1080p60hz Youtube I get stuttering with two displays running. Have a look at the EliteBook series as well, 8570p or 8470p. I would rate them even more durable than the TPs.
I bought a 8470p for my neighbour a while ago as a music computer and it felt pretty sturdy, even for a rather battered/C-grade machine. Going to be hard to find one for the price I paid though.

Just take an old T-Series Thinkpad. Newer ones >x30 are fragil.

Look out for an old T-Model series 400-420 or 500-520.

These models are nearly unbreakable by normal treatment.

• ok1.de
  • ok2.de
  • thinkstore24.de
  • Preiswerte-IT - Gebrauchte Lenovo Notebooks kaufen

Werbung

Zurück
Oben